Re: Re: Re: [Reproducible-builds] Raspi 3 suitable for arm64

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 1:18 AM, Ronald Maas wrote:

> 1) downloading and installing Tianocore on bare metal and/or VMs fully
> complies with the additional restriction stated in the UEFI FAT license, and

That is true. The point is that it is not Open Source according to The
Open Source Definition, is not Free Software according to The Free
Software Definition, is not able to be packaged for Redhat/Fedora, is
not Free Software according to the Debian Free Software Guidelines and
is in violation of the SourceForge terms of service (though it is
transitioning to the non-free software friendly github).

As such it is a second-class citizen in the Free Software world, for
example you'll never be able to update your UEFI firmware by
installing a new TianoCore package, like you can for u-boot.

> 2) virtually all firmware in use today use non-open components

This is a bug that should be fixed, not perpetuated. Hopefully when
RISC-V/lowRISC kill off all other plat

> I am not familiar with the whole Debian build infrastructure. So if I missed
> the point where this becomes a real issue, hope you can elaborate.

For example:

You can't flash UEFI over u-boot from the official Debian/etc installers.

You can't use UEFI or Secure Boot in virtual machines on RHEL, Fedora
or Debian main.

Also there is the whole device-tree vs ACPI/UEFI discussion.

Personally, I'd rather install a cut-down Linux+initramfs into my boot
device than UEFI anyway.

--
bye,
pabs