Re: bananaPro | debian jessie doesn't boot; trying to establish a serial connection

Stefan Monnier dijo [Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 08:34:09AM -0500]:
> AFAIK the actual SoC and board doesn't setup anything on the serial
> console side.  It's setup by the later boot loader (the one loaded from
> Sd card or from nand), i.e. by U-Boot (or maybe by its earlier SPL).
>
> So, indeed, the same params should work.  If you don't see anything when
> booting your Debian SD card but you do see something when booting
> something else (e.g. Bananian), it means that your board can't find the
> U-Boot that's on your Debian SD card.  I.e. either your card is faulty,
> incorrectly inserted, improperly flashed, or something like that.

OTOH, some SoCs' uboot have different behaviours depending on how they
are configured. As an example, on the CI20, when using their centrally
distributed images based on the 3.0.8 kernel, the console UART pins
are in a compatible position to what you'd expect in the GPIO port of
a Raspberry-like system, but on those starting off from a newer (3.18)
kernel, they are at the dedicated UART header instead:

    http://elinux.org/CI20_Headless_Setup#Setting_up_SSH_using_serial_and_WiFi.2Fethernet