Re: help? efivar 0.20-3 fails to build on arm64

> Sounds good, thanks.
>
> OVMF/AAVMF is unfortunately non-free due to the FAT driver license.
> How are RedHat, Linaro etc dealing with that issue?

The UEFI spec requires FAT for the ESP (EFI System Partition). Apple (an
OEM and an OSV) ignores this and uses HFS+ for it's ESP. A Linux OEM
could also choose to ignore FAT and use their own FS for their ESP.

Having a FS that has some security would really be an improvement over
storing firmware images on FAT, IMO.

I thought I'd seen some Linaro slides on UEFI that mentioned Ext2 or
Ext4 support, but can't recall the URL to those slides, sorry. If anyone
finds more info about Linaro (as well as non-ARM-based Linux OEMs) w/r/t
using Ext4 for ESP, please speak up.

OS upgrade issues will be painful when each OEM/OSV includes a different
FS for their ESP. Windows' installer won't recognize Ext4, nor will most
UEFI BIOS implementations, the Linux OEM would need to add it. Similar
issues if installing onto Apple hardware, except HFS+. Read the response
from Apple mid-page, about technical issues:
http://sourceforge.net/p/edk2/mailman/edk2-devel/thread/E9345F56-5607-48DF-AC04-60A732E5698A@apple.com/

> We had a really interesting discussion about hardware/firmware testing
> on the debian-derivatives list recently, folks interested in that sort
> of stuff might be interested in looking at these links:
>
> http://biosbits.org/
> https://launchpad.net/fwts
> https://github.com/chipsec/chipsec
> https://github.com/01org/luv-yocto

In addition to Intel bits, Linaro is porting the above 4 URLs to AArch64
(but not AArch32), you can see some Linaro/Intel discusson on the LUV
mailing list:
https://wiki.linaro.org/LEG/Engineering/luvOS
eg:
https://lists.01.org/pipermail/luv/2015-June/000534.html

I'm not clear as to the efivar problem that started the thread, and what
tool(s) you need to help.

Do you have a UEFI Shell for your ARM system? There are a few commands
there to get this data, from UEFI space, if that helps.

There is the linux-efi mailing list, perhaps that'd be helpful? I'm not
100% of what is on- and off-topic on that list.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-efi

There is the Linaro-uefi mailing list, if this problem can be replicated
on their builds.