Re: help? efivar 0.20-3 fails to build on arm64

Hi Wookey!

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 04:15:34PM -0500, Wookey wrote:
So then, I've got questions:
1. Are some of the arm64 buildd's UEFI-enabled and some not? If so,
should they actually be segmented?

0.20-2 built on arm-linaro-03 which is an APM Mustang.
0.20-3 built on arm-arm-01 which is ARM Juno.

That APM box still uses uboot. Juno uses UEFI. So I guess that
explains the problem. I believe that UEFI support for the APM hardware
does exist now, but those are early machines. I'm not sure if there is
a plan to upgrade them as mostly it doesn't matter.

Ah, Mustang. :) It makes sense to me that we'd just leave those systems alone. "If it's (mostly) not broken, don't fix it."

Given that this package is correctly skipping the test on the non-UEFI
machine, the correct fix would seem to be to fix the test on the UEFI
machine.

Yes, though Peter Jones told me after I sent the initial email: "I would recommend not running it during a normal build." He's got some open issues with the test suite that he's concluded are due to broken firmware, not efivar being broken. I disabled dh_auto_test. I'll enable it again once Peter deems it more ready, though he noted that he thinks it makes more sense to rig up the tests in jenkins, which is on his to-do list.

2. Would someone involved in the arm64 port be willing to look at
this build issue? Alternatively, I would need access to an arm64
system.

Yep, we can have a look at this. Can you explina what the test is
testing? That should help debug it.

Honestly, I haven't looked at what they're testing because they weren't causing a problem for me until now. Peter would be the authority on that.

--Jared

--
Jared Domínguez
Infrastructure Software Engineering