Re: Debian Wheezy or Jessie install on Cubox-i4pro?

On Apr 4, 2015, at 5:14 AM, Karsten Merker <merker@debian.org> wrote:

> just to make sure I understand you correctly: the installer
> itself worked without problems, but the installed system doesn't
> come up?  If yes, then this might be due to a problem with the
> console device setting.  The installer uses a different
> boot script than the final system:

Yes, that’s correct.  The installed system doesn’t come up.

It gets to “Starting Kernel” and hangs.  No more output on the console after that.  I waited several minutes.

> Could you please try to interrupt the u-boot autoboot process by
> pressing a key when u-boot prints the "Hit any key to stop autoboot"
> message and then issue the following command at the u-boot prompt:
>
> setenv bootargs “console=ttymxc0,115200"; run bootcmd

Just to be clear:  This will set the console variable with baud rate, but only temporarily.  The “run bootcmd” at the end will cause it to do a “normal” boot, but with that console setting.

Looking at the “cubox1.log” I attached previously, which has the output of “printenv” from the installed system, after interrupting the u-boot at the “Hit any key…” point: I see
      console=ttymxc0

so it seems possible that it just needs a baud rate added and all would be well…

> If this results in a working system, you can make this setting
> permanent by running
>
> setenv bootargs “console=ttymxc0,115200"; saveenv

This will make the console variable with baudrate a permanent part of the environment, right?
Do I need to do anything after the “saveenv”?  Like reset or power-cycle the box?  Some older ARM hardware I’ve used seemed to have those kinds of quirks.

Do I just type “run bootcmd” at that point?

> at the u-boot prompt. Please report back whether this solves
> the issue for you

I’ll give it a try tonight.  Report will follow…

> HTH,
> Karsten

Thanks for the help!
Rick