Re: Debian Wheezy or Jessie install on Cubox-i4pro?

Hi Karsten,

As I get ready to follow this procedure on my new Cubox, I realize that some of the description is not completely clear to me…

Please take a look at the interpretations below and tell me if I’m confused…  Thanks

> On Apr 2, 2015, at 6:12 AM, Karsten Merker <merker@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 03:11:06AM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
>>>
>>> What do I need to do to get up-to-date Wheezy (or failing that,
>>> Jessie) installed on my brand-new Cubox-i4pro?  The download
>>> from Solid-run is now 9 months old.
>>
>> I do not have a Cubox-i4pro, but in theory the following
>> instructions (which assume a serial console on the "service
>> port") should result in a working Jessie install:
>>
>> a) Unpack the tarball at
>>
>>  http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/hd-media/hd-media.tar.gz
>>
>>  onto a FAT16/FAT32/ext2/ext3/ext4-formatted USB stick

So — my interpretation of this translates into the following shell commands:

	cd /tmp
	wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/hd-media/hd-media.tar.gz
	mkfs -t ext2 /dev/usbstick
	mkdir /tmp/hdmedia
	mount -v /dev/usbstick /tmp/hdmedia
	cd /tmp/hdmedia
	tar xpvf /tmp/hdmedia.tar.gz

>>  and copy the CD ISO image from
>>  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/jessie_di_rc2/armhf/iso-cd/debian-jessie-DI-rc2-armhf-CD-1.iso
>>  onto the USB stick as well.

	cd /tmp/hdmedia
	wget http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/jessie_di_rc2/armhf/iso-cd/debian-jessie-DI-rc2-armhf-CD-1.iso
	cd ~
	umount -v /tmp/hdmedia

>> b) create a Micro-SD card with u-boot for the Cubox-i4pro by
>>  writing the image at
>>  http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/u-boot/MX6_Cubox-i/MX6_Cubox-i.sdcard.img.gz
>>  to it.

	fdisk /dev/uSDcard
	u      # change units to sectors
	o      # create a virgin DOS partition table
	n      # create a partition
	p      # make it a primary partition
	       # default start
	       # default end
	p      # make sure you’ve got it right
	# should see first partition starting at sector 32 and ending at the size of the uSDcard
	w      # write the new partition table

	cd /tmp
	wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/u-boot/MX6_Cubox-i/MX6_Cubox-i.sdcard.img.gz
	gunzip MX6_Cubox-i.sdcard.img.gz
	dd if=MX6_Cubox-i.sdcard.img of=/dev/uSDcard1      # write the raw image to the first partition

>>  (Caution: this wipes any previous contents on the card)

Understood.  I’m using a brand new uSD card.

Did I get it right?

Thanks!
Rick

PS: Is this procedure described anywhere in the release documentation?  (I’d be happy to RTFM if I could figure out what FM I should R…)