Re: booting the samsung chromeboot xe303c12 with the debian armmp kernel

On Thu, Nov 13 2014, Pedro Bulach wrote:
>>> Looking at the Debian kernel configuration, it appears that
>>> CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE is not enabled in the armmp kernel. This would appear
>>> to be a requirement for the simplefb variant of u-boot (can anyone
>>> confirm?).
>>
>> I think we could pretty safely enable that, although I'd be much happier
>> if someone could try it first. I don't think I have any relevant h/w in
>> the right places.
>
> Good catch! I will try to rebuild the kernel over the weekend enabling
> the simplefb and test again, and report back.

Having built a kernel[1] with CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE and adding the
flash-kernel support, I can properly generate the kernel, initrd and dtb
images, but the result still doesn't usefully boot.

When I run 'bootm ...' there is some text printed by the loader (much as
before CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE), and then the screen clears to blank. I recall
from a previous attempt at this some months ago that it can take a while
for the kernel to use the framebuffer, but after 10 minutes nothing has
changed. The access light on the USB stick (which has nv-uboot, /boot
and /) has not lit.

The screen clearing to blank is new - that didn't happen with the
previous kernel - so I'm trying to presume that it's a good sign ;-)

Footnotes:
[1]  Which took many hours on a Banana Pi...