Re: Official support Odroid hardware and other ARM development boards.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
>>  ah that's a misunderstanding, paul.  what neal (bless 'im) is
>> referring to there is the fact that the A31 has *inside the Silicon
>> design* an early version of the OR1000 core, which is run at a very
>> low clock speed and is used to manage the chip when everything else is
>> powered down in "sleep state".
>
> Sounds similar to what I mean by "embedded controller",

 ... yeah.  that's a good description.

> which is a term I'm only familiar with from the x86 hardware space.

 anything these days that's an 8086 (or more usually an 8051) is...
yeah.  you'd be surprised - no, more like stunned - how many
appliances are based around the 8051 instruction set.  CMOS camera
chips, touchscreen controllers.  ARM's got into this area with the
Cortex M0, M3 and M4 licensable designs.

> Only
> difference about the A31 is that it is part of the SoC rather than
> external. Thanks for the clarification and extra detail.

 no problem

> http://www.coreboot.org/Embedded_controller
>
>> let's just hope the Allwinner had the good sense to realise that if
>> they made any modifications to that OR1000 core they have to respect
>> the LGPL license that OR1000 is released under, eh?
>
> The LGPL specifically allows private modifications

 ... you sure about that? :)

> and physical hardware isn't copyrightable

 augh.  ahh that's what Design Rights are for... hmmm... i wonder if
that's the solution to being able to apply the GPL and LGPL to
hardware...

 sorry this is off-topic.