Re: Official support Odroid hardware and other ARM development boards.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:46 PM, Reg Lnx <regier.kunkel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Karsten.
> It answers a lot of questions and it makes sense. I think we can say the
> very same about the odroid, it has some non free things too.

 indeed it does.  i've been working at every opportunity possible to
get a software-libre compliant *desirable* processor available for
general use.  four years and counting.  it's getting boring.

> So it looks like we still don't have a 100% open source computer.

 oh you do... they're just shit compared to the "latest and greatest",
because you have to go back about.... 2 to 5 years in technology terms
to get them.  which means they're either useless, or expensive, or
both.  take the latest software for example: you simply can't run
libreoffice or firefox in under 512mb of RAM nowadays.   or at less
than a 1ghz processor speed.

 the manufacturers of successful products just *do not* wish to work
with software libre individuals.  sure they're prepared to take
whatever they've created "for free" and say "thank you very much, fuck
off now, BYE sucker, we'll fuck you over for the next revision you
release as well har har that's what you get when you release code with
such a lame license that doesn't need us to pay you any money har
har"... you get the drift.

 but, working from the ground up is the only way that this situation
is going to change.  The Plan:

1) make some successful desirable mass-volume hardware that respects
software freedom
2) sell lots of it
3) put the money made back into funding software libre
4) put the rest back into solving a non-free issue whilst not
compromising the profitability needed for the next iteration round the
loop
5) repeat from 1.

if !do above, expect current situation (support for ARM hardware in
GNU/Linux distros) to remain very very low.  other methods aren't
working out.

l.