Re: Official support Odroid hardware and other ARM development boards.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Eric Nelson wrote:

> I'm not aware of any open-source silicon, but ARM processors in
> general tend to be well-documented because lots of O/S's are ported
> to them.

Until anyone with a fab can manufacture ARM Ltd designs without fee I
wouldn't consider ARM Ltd CPUs "open source". Sure, 100% of the
software running on the CPU may be open source but that doesn't make a
"100% open source computer", for that you need much more.

Some movements towards that exist for other CPU architectures, most of
them are running on FPGAs rather than actual ASICs so far.

http://opencores.org/
http://openrisc.net/
http://opencores.org/donation
http://m-labs.hk/
http://www.ohwr.org/projects/lm32
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/systems/opensparc/

Interestingly there was an ARM based tablet that planned to use an
OpenRISC chip for the embedded controller.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pengpod-1040-quad-core-linux-android-dual-booting-tablets

--
bye,
pabs