Re: [Arm-netbook] Another "new" ARM plateform

On 27/12/13 09:42, David Pottage wrote:
On 26/12/13 20:02, Tim Fletcher wrote:
On 26 Dec 2013, at 13:14, David Pottage <david@chrestomanci.org> wrote:

How good is the mainline linux kernel support for the Freescale iMX6
SOC?

I currently have an Allwinner A10 based Cubieboard. In most respects
it is a very nice single board computer, but I find it frustrating
that I am stuck at Linux kernel version 3.4, and don't have access to
bugfixes or new features available in later versions of the kernel,
so I am looking for a replacement with full kernel mainline support.
There is much improved mainline support now my A20 based cubietruck is
running 3.13.rc4 currently

That is very interesting. I was aware that there are efforts to get
recent kernels working on the allwinner SOC, but I thought that work was
very much at a pre-alpha stage, and almost none of the on board devices
worked, so while you could successfully boot the kernel, and see some
output on the serial port, you could not make use of the Ethernet, SATA
or display.

What has changed? which devices work, and which don't. Is it stable, or
will it crash after a few hours?

Latest update to rc5 has given me working USB as well. In summary I now have an A20 Cubietruck running Debian Jessie from normal repos with upstream kernel and working:

USB
SMP
SATA
Gigabit networking from the stmmac driver
MMC
HYP mode (ie hardware accelerated VMs)
Serial console

I don't have working display drivers but I haven't really tried as I don't have a monitor on the machine.

--
Tim Fletcher <tim@night-shade.org.uk>