Re: Good ARM board for Debian?

On 12/23/2013 2:24 AM, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 11:09:39PM -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

Let's try this again.  I'm still looking for a good ARM board for
Debian.  I thought the Olinuxino A10s board would work until I found out
recently that Allwinner has stopped making the SDK as of last February.
No more updates for Linux, and it looks like this chip is going by the
wayside.  We need one which will be around for a while.

Wow, what world do you live in?

A world where cheap chinese manufacturers actually support their
hardware? Where they make full software available for many years? What
world is that?

Luc,

I live in a world with commercial products where costs must be controlled to remain competitive. This includes not only the cost of parts now, but the cost of having to redesign when something you are using becomes unavailable.

Allwinner hardware has very extensive support, and a lot of this is
delivered by the linux-sunxi.org community. We have several partial
datasheets (A10 and A13), and a lot of code for A10, A13, A10s, A20 and
A30. Olimex is actively engaged with this community. We have a chance to
get fully free, fully functioning hardware as the projects to RE the GPU
and VPU are well underway. There is simply nothing out there that can
match that atm.

So buy an olimex board, it's way better supported than anything else out
there.

Luc Verhaegen.

Please see http://olimex.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/allwinner-do-not-develop-new-sdks-for-a10s/. For the A10s, nothing is available after the Linux Kernel 3.0.8.

Jerry