Re: recommend a netbook for Debian deployment?

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 10:32:01PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Mikhail Ramendik <mr@ramendik.ru> wrote:
>
> >> yeees, that CPU Card runs debian.  first thing i installed when i got it :)
> >
> > Cool. But I guess the A10 GPU (Mali400) is pretty basic compared to
> > the aforementioned PowerVR?
>
>  we're using the A20 which is dual-core, but yes it is.  part of the
> issue there is that the moron in charge of MALI at ARM - the one who
> thinks he's god - doesn't actually know what he's talking about, and
> hasn't bothered to do any software optimisation of the parts of the
> MALI libraries that run on the actual ARM cores.
>
>  luc verbeghen did a _really_ simple memory-management system in
> limadriver and got a *whopping* 30% performance increase *above* what
> MALI can do on the exact same hardware.  and that's *without* having
> done any other special kinds of optimisations.

I am not sure who luc verbeghen is, or where he found this 30% increase.

But luc verhaegen got 6%, and he expects another 50% over the X11 binary
by integrating the display engine correctly. The ~6% over the
framebuffer binary stands as is, which is mostly down to lesser memory
management overhead (due to smarter handling of throw-away memory),
general lesser cpu overhead, and slightly more aggressive scheduling.

The big news is: lima seems to be, in the very general case, as fast as
the binary (and measurably, but not earthshatteringly faster). And i do
not think that anyone in the graphics world can currently approach that.

Luc Verhaegen.