Re: Donation of a Calxeda Highbank node

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 07:27:54PM +0000, David Power wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 09:56:51AM +0300, Riku Voipio wrote:
> > My main concern is that having a single node as buildd without another
> > for development purposes means that we don't have easy means to keep
> > testing for example kernel upgrades.
>
> Hey Guys, I stumbled upon this thread while trying to investigate if
> debian would work on the calxeda platform. We're one of calxedas partners
> and have specific customers who would really love to see debian working on
> ours/calxedas platform.
>
> Can I ask how far your efforts in porting have gone? Is there a wheezy
> release for highbank that we could test out internally?
>
> I would be more than happy to make some hardware available remotely for
> you to use as a second build/test server. We have genuine demand for
> debian on our platform. I'd also be happy to get involved in any way I can
> to help out.

Hi Dave,

We are more than happy to receive donations that assist us in properly
addressing the buildd/porter requirements for the ARM architecture.

Generally speaking, our requirements for equipment to be used as buildd/porter
machines are as follows:

* reliability - The stable release manager requires that we operate
  three machines for each port: two buildd machines in different
  locations and one porter machine.  These machines must be reliable.

* out of band management - We require the ability to manage the machines
  independently of their primary network interface: serial console or
  better, remotely-controllable power.

* supportability - We require that the machines be commercialy available
  (within financial constraints) and that they be supportable through a
  warranty or post-warranty support or are otherwise easy to replace.

* stability - We require that the machine's architecture have an
  actively-maintained stable kernel in the archive.

* environment - We require that packages critical for DSA operations be
  available: puppet, samhain, syslog-ng, ferm/pf, etc.

We would prefer to house such equipment in one of the data centres where we
have an existing presence (grnet (Greece), man-da (Germany), ubcece (Canada))
but we are amenable to a discussion regarding having a business host the
equipment on our behalf as long as the above requirements are met.

Please let me know how you'd like to proceed.

And thank you for your offer.  It is *only* through the generous donation of
time, equipment and/or funds from businesses and/or individuals such as
yourself that volunteers are able to make the operating system known as Debian.

Thanks again,

Luca

Debian System Administration Team
Debian Hardware Donations Team