Re: arm build hardware

On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 07:11:16PM +0000, peter green wrote:
>I run a debian derivative called raspbian and i'm looking into a new
>build cluster both to give more power for the jessie campaign and to
>migrate the cluster out of mike's basement. I had been looking egarly
>at the openbrix zero but it looks like that project has been
>abandoned :(. I've thought through a list of requirements and nice to
>have's and am currently looking at two boards the nitrogen6x (with
>2GB ram option) and the arndaleboard.

Hi Peter,

As another data point...

I'm looking at migrating the current Debian buildd machines across
from imx53 to arndale in the next few months, using a similar kind of
setup to what we have there right now [1]. The arndale boards are
physically too large to fit in the existing mini-rack so I'm expecting
to swap from there to a new 6U version. Thankfully, the arndales look
like they should work fine using the same power/SATA/ethernet options
as we currently have which will make things easier.

There are 2 potential worries yet. AFAIK, the kernel for the arndale
is not yet upstreamed enough for our purposes so we'd have to run a
locally-built kernel for a while; I'm hoping this will get fixed in
time. The second issue is reliability - various people have reported
instability when working their arndale machines hard for
building. Again, I'm hoping this will get fixed in time.

What I'm planning on doing in the short term is replacing an
already-broken imx53 in the Debian build cluster (hartmann) with an
arndale and seeing how well that holds up under load. If all looks
well, I'll get more and start swapping out more of the machines and
probably some of the older Marvell armel buildds too,

[1] http://blog.einval.com/2011/09/05#armhf_buildds

"This dress doesn't reverse." -- Alden Spiess