Re: arm build hardware

On Sat, 2013-03-09 at 20:33 +0000, peter green wrote:
> David Pottage wrote:
> > On 09/03/13 11:02, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> >> get a few chromebooks, 2G of ram, fast CPU and debian/ubuntu
> >> supported ... admittedly no SATA but USB 3.0 which should be speedy
> >> enough ... for networking get an USB 2.0 NIC (if you need wired) and
> >> enjoy that they come with a builtin UPS
> >
> > Apparently the USB3 socket is not actually useful. anandtech.com
> > Benchmarked it when they reviewed the Chromebook, and only got
> > 12.7MB/s (while running ChromeOS), which is barely more than the
> > maximum speed for USB2.
> IIRC though their "benchmark" consisted of copy files to/from the
> internal flash, so it may have been the internal flash that was slow.
>
> I don't see any real reason to choose the chromebook over the
> arndaleboard though (same processor, same ram, about the same price,
> worse interfaces).

For a build cluster the arndale board looks way better than just
laptops.

1. How much of them will you need ?

2. It may be difficult to put the arndale board into a case which can
be mounted into a rack. It looks like the arndale board has its
connectors at least on 3 sides of the pcb which doesnt't make it easier.

3. Which interface would you like to use for mass storage ?