Re: Making an armhf kernel package.

Hi,

2012/5/9 Arnaud Patard <arnaud.patard@rtp-net.org>:
> "Paul Kench" <paulkench@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

>> When I try and build a debian packaged kernel/modules with the deb-pkg
>> target, the package builds but it builds an armel package that complains
>> around architecture when trying to install. I am building natively on the
>> Mele.

> deb-pkg is using kernels infos to find the debian host architecture but
> looks like it knows only arm/armel. There's a KBUILD_DEBARCH to force an
> arch, maybe you can try something like that:
> $ KBUILD_DEBARCH=armhf make deb-pkg

You can also try to edit scripts/package/builddeb

> I'm going to have a look to fix the "auto detection" of the architecture
> but at least, the workaround I gave should work.

I had a look into it and somehow that was interesting. First I thought
on checking CPU_V7, then it would be armhf, but CPU_V7 might want to
run armel kernel as well. Or CPU_V6 hardware (as rPI) might want to
build armhf. IOTW, from kernel config its not possible to determine
whether arch is armel or armhf. It might be doable by checking
(cross)compiler configuration, something like:

  gcc -dumpspecs | grep multilib_defaults -A1 | grep -q hard-float

>> Any idea how I can tell deb-pkg to build an armhf package, that thinks it’s
>> an armhf package? Alternatively a make-kpkg invocation that would work would
>> do.

Since kernel-package (12.036+nmu2) should be working on armel/armhf.

Cheers,
--