Re: Workstation based on ARM motherboard, good idea ?

Hello Pascal Brugier,

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if it's a good idea to build a workstation based on
> ARM motherboard.
>
> My  needs are :
>
> - X desktop, Awesome or perharps Gnome3
> - remote admin with ssh
> - web browser
> - libreoffice and pdf reader for reading and writing documentation
> - music listening :)
> - SIP/Voip client like Twinkle
> - Installing any packets for testing config in pre-prod env.

This all is possibel with an Marvel Discovery MV78200 (DualCore 1200MHz)
where already MiniITX Boards exist.  I have developed a MiniITX too, but
had to  stop  the  production  du  to  some  problems  with  the  french
administration...

It has 1 SODIMM, 4x PCIe Singel Lane, 1x PCIe Quad Lane, 2x SATA, USB 2,
2x Giga Ethernet, 512MByte NAND, SDHC, requires a PSU 9-32V (=>10 Watt).

In clear:  I have used anything possibel with the MV78200. Unfortunately
           I have no oney anymore for the production.

> So I'm asking if ARM plateform is a good choice at this time for a
> workstation ?

YES

> As it's better, to have a SATA port for read/write performances,
> there is not a big choice on mother board and I found only one, it's
> the last from Freescale base on i-MX6, and 1Gb network interface is
> a good point too. But I did'nt find if I can install Debian armhf
> (squeeze or wheezy) on it, so have you some informations about this
> point?
>
> This wil be a personnal workstation, so I don't have thousand and
> thousand of € :).

I have the MV78200 Development Kit (6800 US$) and two Prototypes for the
MiniITX and it works flawless with Debian Squeeze, byside  some  special
things where a newer Kernel is required, speakj, the Kernel  in  Squeeze
is too old to support the MV78200 entirely.

See:  Linux ARM Kernel Mailinglist...

> My idea is to get a little workstation, in size and power consumption.
> If you have other ideas, tell me I'll look at them.

I have on the PCIe 4x Port a TFT controller which drive an LVDS display
withj 2560x1920/16M pixel without any problems...

I bought the TFT controller (68 US$) and display (140US$, not a monitor)
from a chinese manufacturer...

> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Pascal.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

               Internet Service Provider, Cloud Computing
                <http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>
                  <http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/>

itsystems@tdnet                     Jabber  linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de
Owner Michelle Konzack

Gewerbe Strasse 3                   Tel office: +49-176-86004575
77694 Kehl                          Tel mobil:  +49-177-9351947
Germany                             Tel mobil:  +33-6-61925193  (France)

USt-ID:  DE 278 049 239