Re: modern cheap NAS fully supported by Debian?

Nicola,

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 05:42:30AM +0200, Nicola Bernardini wrote:

> [...] and I would like to buy another NAS in that price range or
> whereabouts. And of course, I would like to be able to run a full
> Debian system on it. Debian Squeeze would be fine,

[...]
> Thank you for all your replies,

To be complete, perhaps should one mention that the Intel SS4000-E Nas
Server is available on ebay in the USA, new without disks, for 125 $.
The seller has 90 boxes available.

SS4000-E isn't the fastest one (XScale 400 Mhz - it's even a bit slow
localy in a LAN), and was an expensive bad joke with the original
firmware, but with Debian on it (Squeeze runs fine) it works very well
for things like remote backup through the net, were raw speed is not
important.

The hardware quality is of a good level and, while there is perhaps
better choice, you can't go totaly wrong with this box at this price
for a four bay nas.

Hih,

--

JFS.