Re: The new armhf in town...

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Andrei POPESCU
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> [CC'ing only because you did, JFYI, I am subscribed to debian-arm]
>
> FYI, the image works fine (Thanks!), but it is a bit too customized for
> my taste[1]. Also, your GPG key is not singed by anyone (a trust path to
> Debian would be great).
>
> I'm talking mostly about small stuff like that.
>
> [1] This is not a bad thing in itself, considering the audience for it,
> but I'd still like a pristine Raspbian installation, even I have to do
> it by hand. Admittedly, I did not look in the forum for instructions yet,
> since I don't really like forums :(

There is a Debian based Raspbian installer available here:

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianInstaller

I personally prefer to work with an installer, but unfortunately, with
the SD card media it can be very slow to use so 95% or more of users
just want to start from a live image.  Improving the installer
experience is something we could really use help with as it would make
Raspbian more versatile for a wider audience.

One of the current handicaps we have is that don't yet have a Raspbian
kernel which closely resembles the Debian kernel available with other
ARM based systems.  Instead we are using the Foundation provided
kernel which is derived from a generic 3.1 kernel with Broadcom
drivers for the SoC peripherals. It, how shall I say, has "issues".
Peter is working on a Debian derived kernel for the Pi, but we'll need
some help from the foundation to iron out some of the problems he's
running into.

Regarding the keys not having GPG signatures, that's my fault.
Unfortunately, I'm not a Debian developer and I'm not up to speed on
the significance of signatures on signing keys.  Hopefully this is
something that can be corrected in the coming weeks.  I'll work with
Peter on that.

Mike