Re: Anyone here made a "TV computer"?

+++ Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton [2011-04-11 22:23 +0100]:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
>
>  yeahhh, bottom line: i'd pick a pandaboard and use DVB dongles and
> USB-to-SATA converters.  the OMAP44xx has a 4-port hub built-in so you
> will *not* be overloading one single USB channel with SATA data.
> remember to get a decent 2-head SATA drive, otherwise playback+record
> will spang the drive heads back and forth, eventually breaking
> something.

OK. I already have a pandaboard and a haupage DVB-T dongle and a USB
case that takes standard drive (i.e USB to PATA/SATA converter). So I
guess I should try this...and see if it's better than a 5-yr old
ITX via EPIA-ME6000. Fancy some geeking phil?

BTW my DVB-T device is a single channel Hauppage NovaTV USB2. It's OK,
but it goes wrong quite a lot with 'bulk transfer failed'. Once it's
got out of sync only a power cycle seems to re-sync things, So maybe 1
in 10 recordings simply fails. It also has this handy feature that
every button on the remote works just fine with LIRC except the 'OK'
button - you have to use play instead to select menu items. Weird - I
really can't work out what's going on there: the box gets the key
(flashes LED), just like all the others, but doesn't seem to pass it
to the USB interface. Of course if it had free firmware it might be
possible to fix it...

So, given these two annoyances, I've tried to update (not least
because 2 channels would be nice), but I can never for the life of me
work out which of 10s of very similar devices is actually supported
weith free drivers (or which are more reliable). Finding something
which is both listed as working and still available for purchase seems
to be tricky. LKCL says 'they all work' - is is really that simple?

Wookey
http://wookware.org/