Re: Anyone here made a "TV computer"?

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> So, given these two annoyances, I've tried to update (not least
> because 2 channels would be nice), but I can never for the life of me
> work out which of 10s of very similar devices is actually supported
> weith free drivers (or which are more reliable). Finding something
> which is both listed as working and still available for purchase seems
> to be tricky. LKCL says 'they all work' - is is really that simple?

 weeeelll i didn't *quite* just say that :)  i said that of the two
usb ones i've used, they worked fine (as did a hauppaug pci card i
bought in 2005).  hmm, this looks familiar:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freecom-Digital-DVB-T-Freeview-receiver/dp/B000ALAWQ6
 as does this: http://www.ryanlothian.com/projects/linux/freecom-dvb-t-stick.
i recognise the name of the (non-free) firmware file, from when i last
fired it up (2 years ago).

 but yes: because all these devices are pretty much cash-cows, and
because the choice of chipsets is pretty limited, support under linux
for them is actually pretty damn good.  originally, 5 years ago, i
used to go here: http://linuxtv.org/ for information but now i find
that google searches do a better job of instantly finding what's
required.  esp. if you have the usb id of the device.

 l.