Re: How to upgrade old abi lenny to squeeze

On 2011-04-04 18:35, brian wrote:
On 04/03/2011 08:29 PM, Martin Guy wrote:
On 3 April 2011 12:52, brian <briandorling@t-online.de> wrote:
On 04/01/2011 06:56 AM, Gordon Farquharson wrote:
Based on my experience, I think that you'd make better use of your
time by installing armel lenny and then upgrading to squeeze. If
anything, it will certainly encourage you to make notes about how you
customized your system (if you haven't already).
So, you suggest to install armel Lenny and then upgrade to squeeze on armel.
Seems Martin also has a squeeze image ready for NSLU2, why not just install
that? I guess either way I will need to reinstall everything anyway.
Maybe I'm missing something.
Well, , the upgrade takes about 48 hours on a slow ARM box and
(worse!) involves you having to poke the console every now and then
for a good number of those hours, responding to configuration
questions and "should I really restart these daemons" boxes.
If you choose to do a fresh installation anyway you may as well go
straight for squeeze.

Martin,
but I thought that I dont have a choice due to the arm -> armel change?
My understanding was that I cannot upgrade the Lenny version I have to squeeze.

Cheers Brian

If you have an old arm version of Lenny, don't even try.
Backup your system files, and install Lenny armel from scratch.
Then, update the apt-sources, and run a "apt dist-upgrade" to squeeze in a screen session.
(Just in case it restarts the ssh connection..)

If you have a console port, then you may skip the screen session thing.
But check the console frequently, the upgrade process will prompt you a lot of times.

I dist-upgraded a couple of packages at a time, just to avoid overloading the upgrade process, but it is anyway a long process.

--
Robert