Re: LEDs on a Sheevaplug

Hello,

El 15 de febrer de 2011 8:20, Lluís Batlle i Rossell
<viriketo@gmail.com> ha escrit:

> Trying to list some problems of minicom:
> - It requires 'root' to run, for most useful things. The code is full of
>  "if(getuid())", and requires some files in /etc.

zumbi@enorme:/tmp/minicom-2.5$ grep -nRH getuid *
src/minicom.c:1234:  if ((pwd = getpwuid(getuid())) == NULL) {

About files in /etc, do you mean it just looks for /etc/termcap on the
wkeys code?

> - It always emulates a terminal, 'translating' the chosen terminal emulation to
>  curses operations for the terminal you use minicom in. This emulation is quite
>  minimal, and usually breaks unicode and disables any powerful terminal
>  feature, setting a 'vt100' or so in the middlle.

Sorry I do not see the problem, maybe a misconfiguration on your side?

> - It's meant for MODEMs, and it's hard to get it working without a DTR signal in
>  the serial port.

Disable hardware flow control (C-a O > Serial port setup > F)

> - It usually sends a Hayes sequence when starting.

Maybe you need $ minicom -o

> putty does a better job, but it still emulates a terminal. I imagine screen does
> so too.
>
> cu does not emulate any terminal, which for me is a great advantage.

Minicom is not so bad and it allows scripting to automate tasks, it is
very powerful tool.

Just to mention another application: 'seyon'

Cheers,
--
 Héctor Orón

-- Day DVB-T stop working nicely