Re: Debian on the linkstation pro/live

Martin Michlmayr wrote:

It seems the way you'd install Debian would be to:

 - update the firmware to 1.10
- run a script provided by Debian that removes the initrd= parameter
   from the u-boot config, and then puts the debian-installer kernel
   and ramdisk on disk.
 - reboot, run the installer

Sounds good.

flash-kernel already has support for the LS (and I think it was tested
by you); we'd only need to add oldsys-preseed support.

Anything else I missed?  It seems we're fairly close.

Not off the top of my head, but I'll see if I can think of anything else...

I think there has also been conflicting information whether the LS can
boot from TFTP or not.  If it does, we could provide images via TFTP.

With recent firmwares on the v2 hardware, LS will only boot from TFTP if harddisk boot fails, or if instructed to do so via serial cable.

So one possibility is:

. Remove hard disk from machine
. netboot to flash a netconsole-capable uboot image - created by merging buffalo's uboot code with more recent netboot-capable uboot code (have tried this - works OK)
. Replace hard disk, then trigger tftp boot again via netconsole.

The other is to use a serial cable to trigger the boot. Both could be offered as install options, I suppose.

Cheers,

Tim.