spindown no longer working after upgrade from etch -> lenny

Hi all!

Since hdd performance of the Thecus N2100 is not so
perfect with debian etch (stable, kernel 2.6.18) I did
an upgrade to lenny with kernel 2.6.26 including the
DMA patches by Martin Michlmayr.

Thanks to Martin the hard drive performance is now
much better (173 MB/s  cached / 48 MB/s buffered reads).

Unfortunately hdd spindown is no longer working.

Since my seagate hdd is not able to report the drive temperature
without wake up from spindown, is in the 2.6.26 kernel a hdd
temp checking mechanism working?

Or can give me anyone else a hint what I have to check?

Since I am not so familiar with kernel (re)compilation I am not able
to create an appropriate kernel needed for tools like atop which is able
to report  processes responsible for disk i/o.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Markus