Re: Installing debian on ARM board

Hi,
> I will love to tftp but my ARM target board is connected to a machine
> running windows XP and running Debian 5.0 in a VMware player. Do you
> think I can still boot from tftp? I do have tftp set up on both windows
> and Debian and can transfer files between them but not sure if Debian in
> VM Player will be able to talk to the ARM board.

AFAICT windows tftp server can also be used to install Debian

> U-boot does have a usbboot command but I am not sure what I must have on
> the USB to make it boot. Do I download .iso file, burn it on CD and then
> copy the contects of CD on the USB stick?

You can avoid burning the CD and mount iso file with -o loop.
At the USB you either need a rootfs if you want your filesystem on the
USB, but probably you need a lot of tweaking.. making partitions on the
usb, tell the kernel where the rootfs is and your bootloader should be
able to mount the usb device. Another approach is to have a uboot
generated image (see mkimage) with kernel/rootfs/.. in the usb, then
uboot should be able to mount the usb device and then you can try to
flash that image with some uboot command.

Cheers &