Re: Debain arm on a nokia N800

On Wed, 09 May 2007 17:55:56 +0200, Detlef Schmicker wrote:

> Hello,
>
> some months ago I posted on maemo (the platform used for the Nokia N800)
> mailinglist about my attemps to run DEBIAN-ARM on this platform.

I'd certainly be interested in informatin about getting armel on my
m800.  There seems to be progress in compiling a kernel and setting p a
reasonable initial file system, but it's not clear what I have to do to
enable the n800 to actually boot from it.

I think I'm looking for instructions that are more end-user-friendly than
the ones in

> http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2007-February/008480.html

I really don't know how to make my n800 boot differently, nor how to get
it back the way it was if things go horribly wrong.  But having Debian
instead of maemo will, I suspect, make life easier -- at least finding
packages to install and using gcc and the like.

> (setup 2 and 3 are of interest here)
>
> I had quite low feedback. Maybe on debian-arm mailinglist there is more
> interest in this "port".

It's on the debian-arm mailing list that I found your post, now over a
year old.

> It would be great, if some others are also interested. Special interest
> is in ARM EABI, if I understood correctly. I append the /proc/cpuinfo.
>
> My experience with standard debian arm (etch) is, that e.g. gimp was
> very slow,

I'd expect the gimp to be slow -- n800 has very little RAM, and gimp is
already slog on my gigabyte desktop machine.

> as iceweasel was reasonable fast.

That'a good.

> I thought it might be a
> floating point issue.

I thought the ARM had harware floating-point.  But if I remember wrong,
it just shows how little I know about it.

-- hendrik