Re: Debain arm on a nokia N800

Am 2008-09-19 21:36:27, schrieb Hendrik Boom:
> I'd certainly be interested in informatin about getting armel on my
> m800.  There seems to be progress in compiling a kernel and setting p a
> reasonable initial file system, but it's not clear what I have to do to
> enable the n800 to actually boot from it.

I am using a Nokia 6120 classic and I had to reinstall the bootloader to
get Multiboot where on c: is Symbian  and  e:  with  3 GByte  the  first
partition of my 4 GByte MicroSDHC card and the second partition EmDebian
with 1 GByte...

> I think I'm looking for instructions that are more end-user-friendly than
> the ones in
>
> > http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2007-February/008480.html
>
> I really don't know how to make my n800 boot differently, nor how to get
> it back the way it was if things go horribly wrong.  But having Debian
> instead of maemo will, I suspect, make life easier -- at least finding
> packages to install and using gcc and the like.

In my Nokia 6120 classic I have UNDER the simcard the  JTAG  connections
which is neccesary to install the NEW bootloader...

> > My experience with standard debian arm (etch) is, that e.g. gimp was
> > very slow,
>
> I'd expect the gimp to be slow -- n800 has very little RAM, and gimp is
> already slog on my gigabyte desktop machine.

On my Smartphone I have only 64 MByte of memory and 128 MByte of  Flash,
so if I would try to run Gimp I must change the  USB-Port  to  Host-Mode
and attach an external Harddisk over an USB-SATA Converter as  SWAP  for
it...

Currenly I like to see my login screen with my red swirl...

> > as iceweasel was reasonable fast.

I run iceape but currently not tried it on my Nokia 6120 classic

> > I thought it might be a
> > floating point issue.
>
> I thought the ARM had harware floating-point.  But if I remember wrong,
> it just shows how little I know about it.

Is the N800 a ARM926-EJ?  --  Then AFAIK it should have it.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)