Re: Debain arm on a nokia N800

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 09:36:27PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Wed, 09 May 2007 17:55:56 +0200, Detlef Schmicker wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > some months ago I posted on maemo (the platform used for the Nokia N800)
> > mailinglist about my attemps to run DEBIAN-ARM on this platform.
>
> I'd certainly be interested in informatin about getting armel on my
> m800.  There seems to be progress in compiling a kernel and setting p a
> reasonable initial file system, but it's not clear what I have to do to
> enable the n800 to actually boot from it.
>
> I think I'm looking for instructions that are more end-user-friendly than
> the ones in

> > http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2007-February/008480.html

There is a wealth of information internet tablet talk:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php?title=Debian

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php?title=Running_Debian_chroot

Including a dedicated forum for running debian on tablets:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38

> I really don't know how to make my n800 boot differently, nor how to get
> it back the way it was if things go horribly wrong.  But having Debian
> instead of maemo will, I suspect, make life easier -- at least finding
> packages to install and using gcc and the like.

What you need is a hack called "bootmenu", which allows you to select
boottime if you want to boot from internal flash of mmc/SD card.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Booting_from_a_flash_card