Re: Error flashing initrd after kernel update

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> [2008-08-07 15:26]:
>> > Anyway, I think we should go with MODULES=dep on QNAP devices and the
>> > HP mv2120.  Since we're updating the initramfs in flash-kernel, I
>> > think I'll simply add a sed s/MODULES=most/MODULES=dep/ there.  Do
>> > you think that's okay, or do you have a better way?
>>
>> That would be a policy violation (thou shalt not mess with conffiles of
>> other packages). The correct solution is to add a configuration file in
>> the /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/ dir that overrides the value in
>> initramfs.conf.
>
> I'm talking about debian-installer.  Surely debian-installer can
> install a package and adapt the config file for the user.

I know what you're talking about and past discussions have shown that that
does not change anything. I don't think d-arm is the correct forum to
discuss this. Suggest you check with Steve Langasek who has a fairly firm
opinion on this, or search for past comments from him on the subject.

We may still violate the rule in some cases, but I know we've also fixed
one or two cases since Etch. Current violations are not an excuse to add
more, especially not if the package in question offers an alternative.