Re: Debian kernel package for linkstation pro

Hello,

I presume (but I'm not sure) that the only method for installing Debian on the kuropro, and lspro will be to start the installer via TFTP.. I suppose it might also be possible to write an installer image to the HD of the linkstation (by connecting the drive directly to another machine first), and use this to boot-strap the install.

Initially, I didn't think this was possible to do on the lspro, without using a serial cable (since there is no method on the lspro V2s which I have to force a tftpboot, without a serial cable, but some earlier hw/fw versions apparently have a feature to do this by holding down the reset key during power-on).

AFAIK, no one is making, or selling the lspro serial cables commercially, and although the parts are cheap, they are time-consuming and relatively difficult to make.

In the end, between myself, and the others on IRC (#linkstationwiki on freenode), we came up with two methods:

A (keep stock firmware):

1. Update your firmware to the latest version from Buffalo (new linkstations ship with this already).
2. Use a serial cable to trigger tftp install.

B (use non-standard firmware):

The linkstation firmware is a patched version of uboot. The Buffalo changes have been forward-ported to a newer version of uboot 1.1.4, which has been built with network console support - thus doing away with the need for a serial cable:

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/Users/davy_gravy/uboot_materials/

Additionally, since the source code for the firmware is available, it should be possible to restore the hold-down-reset-during-power-on-to-trigger-tftpboot feature to the current Buffalo firmware, in order to keep changes to a minimum - however someone would have to be sufficiently motivated to do this....

We came up with some methods for getting the updated firmware onto the Linkstations:

i. Use the Buffalo 'EM Mode' firmware updater (implemented via Buffalo's kernel+initrd pair) to flash the newer firmware. ii. Take the front-panel off the Linkstation, and disconnect/remove the hard drive - the Buffalo uboot will then fall-back to booting from tftp, and the new firmware could then be flashed via this way. iii. Write the firmware updater directly to the HD of the linkstation using another machine.

Whichever firmware is being used, you'll need to delete the faulty initrd=... boot parameter from the uboot "nvram" variables (which are actually also stored in flash - not nvram - in the linkstations), but this should be possible by the same sort of methods which would be necessary for updating the firmware (or could just be done manually using the serial console).

Cheers,

Tim.