Re: Fan control Thecus N2100/Debian Lenny

Al wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:13:21 +0000
> Colin Tuckley <colin@tuckley.org> wrote:
>
> > Hmm... I can only think of three reasons it's not working then:
> >
> > 1) The hardware is broken somehow. Mine has a 3 pin fan connector,
> > does yours and is it plugged in correctly?
> >
> > 2) There is a bios setting of some sort that has disabled fan control
> > - but I have no idea how you'd check that unless redboot has a
> > mechanism.
> >
> > 3) The design got changed, is your N2100 very new (or perhaps very
> > old)?
>
> I won't have time until  tomorrow night to open the case and take a
> look at the fan connector, so I can't say at the moment what that looks
> like.
>
> Yes, this is a very new machine, it arrived about a week ago.
> It had the v2.1.06 firmware, which I think would point to a quite recent
> manufacture date.
>
> Maybe all I can do for now is wait and see what others report on the
> recently manufactured N2100's

My n2100 is similarly a very new model, shipped with the 2.1.06 firmware
2 weeks ago.

The fan is plugged in and running at apparently full speed. (Although,
before I put debian on it, at one point the box beeped long and loud and
the firmware complained that the fan had failed. It seemed to be
spinning when I checked. Odd.) It is a 3 wire fan.

I was able to at least turn the fan off by echoing things to the pwm*
files. I haven't figured out how to turn it back on. :-)

root@turtle:/sys>find |grep pwm
./class/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/0-002e/pwm2
./class/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/0-002e/pwm1
root@turtle:/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/0-002e>cat pwm2