Re: Please test debian-installer rc1 images

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:01:42PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org> [2008-11-13 09:37]:
> > Could we build only a package with the source in the main kernel and
> > have binary packages generated by other source packages
> > build-depending on the source?  This would allow building multiple
> > arm flavours in parallel and we wouldn't have to wait for the first
> > build for too long.
>
> Yuck, I don't really like this idea.
>
> Let's hope Marvell's fast development board will help...

I'm curious to know if we're looking for the same outcome here.  There
are going to continue to be a lot of new ARM boards and IMHO, it would
be nice to be able to support installs to those boards.  This cheap
OMAP is one of them, but it is hard to believe that there won't be
others.

So, if we agree that it is desirable that Debian be able to support
installs to a plethora of targets, perhaps we need to have a scalable
solution.  For example, could we restrict the build of the kernel
package s.t. different buildds are responsible for different binary
packages from a given source?  I'm thinking out-lout here.  Do we even
agree on the goal?