Re: Please test debian-installer rc1 images

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:
> * Robert Nelson <robertcnelson@gmail.com> [2008-11-12 10:46]:
>> Which reminds me, it's too late for lenny, but what's the best way to
>> get this board's kernel added to lenny+1?
>
> The fundamental problem we have on arm is that we have to restrict the
> number of kernels we build because otherwise the kernel package takes
> too long to build.  So you'd have to come up with a good argument as
> to why we should add an OMAP kernel (e.g. how many users are there
> going to be; which devices use such a CPU, etc).

I agree, this is a big problem, and would be virtually impossible to
solve. (Specially when you look at the possible number of arm devices
on the market, some need specific kernels/etc.)  Should have worded
the question differently, how can i add a kernel deb to make it easier
for end users to use this device with debian.

The omap3530 has some traction in the market with alot (relative of
course) of development boards ($150) going out to new users (last 3
months), however most are using Angstrom (compiled for armv7) so
debian will probably not see a majority of these people.

Currently I've got a lenny based beagle-board doing deb kernel
autobuilds for 5 chroots, lenny, (lenny+1 when available), sid,
hasty(armv5el & armv6el) (mojo handhelds 8.04) and icy(armv5el)(8.10).
Averages 2 hours 15 mins a build. Although in it's current form, it's
nothing but a scripted make-kpkg setup, that could have it's completed
deb packages uploaded to a contrib type deb repository if possible.

> However, we'd like to replace the versatile kernel (used for QEMU)
> with a kernel that runs on common hardware as well as QEMU, and OMAP
> is one possible candiate.  See
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2008/06/msg00075.html
> Looking at this message, my questions would be: are multi-omap kernels
> (omap2+omap3) possible now?  How good is OMAP2 and OMAP3 support in
> QEMU these days?
>
> --
> Martin Michlmayr
> http://www.cyrius.com/

Sorry, I'm the wrong person to answer that question, with only
experience with the omap3530 based beagleboard.  But what i've seen in
my area those 3 make sense, although there is that big if with the
omap.  In most cases, as long as there is a universal netboot image
most users can make due.

Regards

--
Robert Nelson