C54ru (was: Re: SIOCSIFFLAGS)

Xan <dxpublica@telefonica.net> writes:

Hi,

> Secondly, let's do it step by step:
>    1) I have a usb wifi key Conceptronic C54RU
>    2) Following
> [http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware], this
> hardward has to work with driver rt2570, not with rt73 (!)

Some usb device vendors tends to use the same name for devices with
differents wifi chipsets. lsusb tells me it's a rt73 chipset and I tend
to believe it's a better information than the device name. [1]

>    3) Following
> [http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Latest%20News],
> rt2x00-project has two flavors: enhanced Ralink legacy drivers and
> rt2x00 drivers
>    4) I supposed that rt2500, rt2570, rt61 and rt73 are all drivers
> and rt2x00 is the new drivers (is it correct?)

yes, that's the idea even if I would say that the rt2x00 is the "family"
of drivers. For instance, for rt73 chipset, the legacy driver is rt73
and the rt2x00 driver is called rt73usb.

> So, first, why the kernel loads this interface with rt73 driver?

Should be fine imho. Please, try the rt73usb module with a firmware
before saying that it's really a rt2570 chipset.

> Secondly, I want to use **new** drivers, rt2x00 drivers that are now
> present in the kernel (2.6.24 and following kernels; I use
> 2.6.26-1-ixp4xx kernel in slug). If I run "lsmod", I think that kernel
> loads this driver:

The legacy driver will never be merged mainline so if you have a driver
loaded, it's the rt2x00 one. See :

> rt73usb                21696  0
> crc_itu_t               1984  1 rt73usb
> rt2x00usb               9664  1 rt73usb
> rt2x00lib              25120  2 rt73usb,rt2x00usb

> So, how can I "change" the driver for this interface?

I would say that you don't need to.

> And finally, where (or how) can I find rt73.bin on my system? This is
> only if I want to do with the old driver?

iirc, the firmware is needed no matter you're using the legacy driver or
the rt2x00 one.
For the firmware, look at the link on this page:
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Firmware_license

Arnaud

[1] unfortunately, this is not always true. You can have two different
devices with the same usb id. See http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/25/353
for instance.