Determining the driver for a network device [was: Re: Ralink]

On Fri 2008-08-29 10:56:26 -0400, Xan wrote:

> Last question: how can I see what module wlan0 is used? rt2x00 or
> rt73?

On modern Linux kernels, sysfs has a lot of information about attacheds
devices.  I can tell that eth0 on my NSLU2 is using the ixp4xx_eth
module by poking around in there:

0 dkg@igor:~$ cat /sys/class/net/eth0/uevent
PHYSDEVPATH=/devices/platform/ixp4xx_eth.16
PHYSDEVBUS=platform
PHYSDEVDRIVER=ixp4xx_eth
INTERFACE=eth0
IFINDEX=2
0 dkg@igor:~$

BTW, on a system with a Linux kernel you can see a list of all network
interfaces (even if they're not up) with:

 ls /sys/class/net

but the best way to look at the networking stack is with /bin/ip.
Read "man ip" for (lots of) details, but the basic levels of the
networking hierarchy can be seen with:

 ip link
 ip neigh
 ip addr