Re: armel package building

configure.in:966 is the AC_OUTPUT(...) line, so would you send the
output of "autoconf --version" too please?

There are three versions floating around: 2.13, 2.50 and 2.61 and with
various combinations of packages "autoconf" and "autoconf2.13"
installed in differnt orders I have seen all three version numbers
emitted. However, all versions seem to work with xaos.

A secondary issue is that here, with any version of autoconf, the same
part of the output goes:

dh_testdir
ln -sf /usr/share/misc/config.sub
ln -sf /usr/share/misc/config.guess
autoconf
CFLAGS=-g ./configure --prefix=/usr
checking build system type... armv5tel-unknown-linux-gnueabi
checking host system type... armv5tel-unknown-linux-gnueabi
gcc -g     -I/usr/include -fomit-frame-pointer -DSFFE_USING
-DSFFE_CMPLX_GSL -I/home/martin/arm/xaos-3.3/src/include   -c -o
xldio.o xldio.c

It looks like the build script is overriding CFLAGS, so this method
will not give you a VFP-enabled binary anyway. In fact Debian is not
even optimising the compilation of xaos on any architecture.

As far as I know there is no single way to set CFLAGS (and CXXFLAGS
where appropriate) in debian package builds. It may work for some
packages, but you will have to hack debian/rules or other files for
others, or play some trick like providing a fake gcc script that
inserts extra options on the command line and calls the real compiler,
like removing /usr/bin/gcc and replacing it with:
#! /bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/gcc-4.3 -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=softfp "$@"
where the magic 4 characters "$@"  pass on all supplied arguments
preserving spacing and quotation, with a similar trick for for
/usr/bin/g++