armel package building

Hello,

If this is the wrong list for armel, please help me out with information for the correct list subscription information.

We are trying to build various packages for armel.  For now, lets use xaos as an example.  The package is available in binary, we would like to add VFP and/or SIMD support to the binary to quantify the performance increase without building a much larger app.  We have see errors during dpkg-buildpackage when m4 is invoked:

rmdir src/lib || true
 debian/rules build
dh_testdir
ln -sf /usr/share/misc/config.sub
ln -sf /usr/share/misc/config.guess
autoconf
/usr/bin/m4:configure.in:966: Warning: excess arguments to builtin `m4_define' ignored
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
Failed to dpkg-buildpackage while processing package xaos

The autom4te/m4 tool fails on other builds as well (xpdf as an example).

Is there a fix or does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks
Joe