Re: 2 Disks (by label/UUID)

* Stuart Read <stuart.t.read+NSLU2@gmail.com> [2008-05-14 13:32]:
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-1-ixp4xx
> root: --
> root: --
>
> I had to create the "flash_kernel_set_root" file

Sorry, the instructions I gave only work for people running unstable
right now.  In the past, the nslu2-utils package would write the root
partition as a config variable to ramdisk, but since recently this is
done by flash-kernel instead. (Currently in unstable, soon also in
testing.)

So you have to edit /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/nslu2
for now and put
  echo "root: -$rootdev-" >&2
at the end.

> , and I think the 2nd "root: --" feedback is due to a similar
> command already present in the "nslu2" file (in hooks).

Did you put it there?  Because by default the nslu2 script doesn't
print anyway.

> I have no idea what the "--" signifies, but I'm thinking it's not good.

Right, the idea is to print - then the root device and then - again.
So if it prints --, then the root device is not set.  However, I doubt
this is really the case - the script would print a big warning in that
case.

> Just to show it's not a UUID/label problem, here is my fstab:
>
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> /dev/sda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1

This looks just fine.

> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /media/usb0     auto
> rw,user,noauto  0       0
> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5 /media/usb1     auto
> rw,user,noauto  0       0
> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6 /media/usb2     auto
> rw,user,noauto  0       0
> I have no idea what the /dev/sci/host0/... entries are about, but
> commenting them out has no effect on the update-initramfs result.

These are harmless.  They are added because the disk is a USB disk
(i.e. an external and not a built-in disk), so the installer adds some
entries that makes it easy to mount external devices.  But they are
not mounted by default, so you can simply ignore them.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/