Re: Softfloat on ARM?

Laz wrote:
> Someone mentioned on this list back in January that they would build an
> armel kernel package: did this ever happen? Can't see one in
> http://armel-debs.applieddata.net/debian but I do see lots and lots and
> lots of packages! :-)

I've only just finished getting the kernel to build today. debs should
show up in the above archive eventually, but for now I've uploaded my first
build to
http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/tmp/armel/linux-image-2.6.18-4-ixp4xx_2.6.18.dfsg.1-10_armel.deb

(All the other kernel packages for other arm systems etc are in the same
directory. I've not tested any of these kernels yet.)

> If there was a kernel image which worked with both the old ABI and the
> EABI binaries, wouldn't it just be a case of installing the EABI kernel,
> and then blatting the rootfs from:
>
> http://armel.applieddata.net/developers/linux/eabi/armel-root-fs.tar.bz2
>
> over the current root (mine is on a USB disk so can be done relatively
> painlessly), swap the disk back to the NSLU2, and cross fingers whilst it
> boots?

If you try this with the image above, note that you'll need to use dpkg
--force-architecture to install the deb, since it's an armel
architecture package and dpkg won't install it on an arm system
otherwise.

--
see shy jo