Re: Softfloat on ARM?

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 21:47, Joey Hess wrote:
> Laz wrote:
> > Someone mentioned on this list back in January that they would build
> > an armel kernel package: did this ever happen? Can't see one in
> > http://armel-debs.applieddata.net/debian but I do see lots and lots
> > and lots of packages! :-)
>
> I've only just finished getting the kernel to build today. debs should
> show up in the above archive eventually, but for now I've uploaded my
> first build to
> http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/tmp/armel/linux-image-2.6.18-4-ixp4xx_2
>.6.18.dfsg.1-10_armel.deb
>
> (All the other kernel packages for other arm systems etc are in the
> same directory. I've not tested any of these kernels yet.)

Timing! I built one myself last night!

real    540m52.723s
user    476m50.010s
sys     46m20.850s

Times for a deunderclocked Slug. Long but not unfeasibly so.

> > If there was a kernel image which worked with both the old ABI and
> > the EABI binaries, wouldn't it just be a case of installing the EABI
> > kernel, and then blatting the rootfs from:
> >
> > http://armel.applieddata.net/developers/linux/eabi/armel-root-fs.tar.
> >bz2
> >
> > over the current root (mine is on a USB disk so can be done
> > relatively painlessly), swap the disk back to the NSLU2, and cross
> > fingers whilst it boots?
>
> If you try this with the image above, note that you'll need to use dpkg
> --force-architecture to install the deb, since it's an armel
> architecture package and dpkg won't install it on an arm system
> otherwise.

Thans for the tip about dpkg: that would definitely have caught me!

Just untarring the rootfs so I can test it as chroot to start with.

Cheers,

Laz