Re: armel cross development on i386

On 3/13/07, Wookey <wookey@aleph1.co.uk> wrote:
On 2007-03-13 17:19 +0300, Sergey Smirnov wrote:

> I know about dpkg-cross. I play with it and my current cross compiler from http://debian.speedblue.org/
> I cross-install arm libc6 package but compile doesn't understand library format.

Indeed. I found that too. I spent a couple of hours last night trying
to work out exactly what the problem is, but haven't yet. I have a
mail in preparation for the thread on this subject on this list.

This isn't strictlly the post I wanted to reply to, but I deleted that
one before remembering, and in any case, the content is close enough.

I'm doing work on an IXP425 board.  It was running a custom armeb +
busybox in flash, as many of these systems do.   I put armeb Debian on
it, but that wasn't very satisfactory, for obvious reasons.   I spent
a lot of time fighting with redboot (which on the board's version
won't respond to any kind of serial input), and trying to either put a
little endian redboot on or have it boot a little endian kernel.  I
finally got the latter to work yesterday.

In any case, I'd very much like to use Debian armel on it, and in fact
it works with it fine, apart the requirement for needing madwifi being
a show-stopper - in particular, the binary-only ARM object file isn't
EABI.  I don't know if it can be converted, or I should simply ask the
madwifi people to supply one, or perhaps they already have.

Meanwhile, I'll use regular Debian arm, which is well supported and is
by and large a known quantity.