Re: APEX and Debian

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 01:50:07PM +0300, Riku Voipio wrote:
> Adding usb and mass storage support to a bootloader would be a
> massive job. Maybe kexec[2] on arm[3] would be a better way to pursue
> flash, and a initramfs dedicated to finding and kexecing
> the "real" kernel from HD.

We have discussed how useful it would be to have a USB host driver in
the boot loader.  It's just that it's a lot of work for no known
benefit.  I don't believe there is a bonafide risk of over-erasing the
NOR flash.  And with an initramfs enabled boot process the kernel
upgrade path is mostly reliable.  Note that this is not the case for
openslug which requires that kernel modules be installed both in flash
and in the rootfs.