Re: APEX and Debian

* Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi> [2006-07-15 12:51]:
> > What annoys me the most about my debian-slug is that I'm stuck
> > with the 2.6.15-1-nslu2 kernel because I don't know how to flash
> > my own. Not only are IPv6 or usbfs unusable, but any custom option
> > is impossible, not to speak of security issues.
>
> This is a "lack of documentation" issue rather than any physical or
> practical impossibility. I have no experience of such action, but it
> should not be hard, all the different "bits" are well documented -
> building debian kernel + initramfs, integrating the non-free ixp4xx
> driver module, proper header for redboot, flashing to nslu2. Just
> combining this to one step-by-step document is missing.

FWIW, nslu2-utils handles upgrades just fine now - you install a new
kernel, and it generates a proper initramfs (taking the non-free
ixp4xx drivers if they're available) and flashes it.  What's missing
is that there's no repository from where the non-free ixp4xx driver
could be obtained easily.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/