Re: Woody base-install, reboot - no inittab...

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 10:22:19PM +0200, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> Yeah - I found some Woody CDs at work, and downloading complete
> distributions over a 56k modem is not my favourite entertainment:-)

You found woody arm CDs lying around?  What kind of company do you work
for?  x86 woody cds are all over the place, but arm?

> Well, I hope I will be able to try that soon - I've got Sarge running on
> all my (PC) systems so far - looks pretty good.
>
> As for my ARM - Woody results - I've managed it. As the init complained
> about not finding the inittab and asked for a boot-level, I entered "S",
> and got a shell prompt! Then I started installing packages by hand
> guessing the order with dpkg starting with libc6... It went ok, until some
> of the packages started failing with an error something about
> "install-info failed: no such file or directory". Digging around, I found
> out, that /usr/info/dir was missing. So, I copied the header from my PC,
> then it went further. And I've installed apt-get. After that it was easy -
> with NBD and apt-cdrom I added all CDs from my PC, at some point around
> apt-get install -f magically appeared inittab and rc*.d links.
>
> So, now I have a running Woody system on my PXA board with
> package-management, native compilation with 2 compilers and all the
> rest! I only had to recompile the kernel, well, fewer than 10 times, and
> reboot the thing, maybe 25 times?:-) It's now running under 2.6.11... BTW,
> is there an update somewhere available for Woody for 2.6  for ARM? I
> remember there was such a thing for x86...

Well woody never did support 2.6 kernels, but some people made
unofficial updates that allowed it to run with 2.6 kernels.

As for 2.6 on arm, I am not quite sure what the state of it is.
Certainly a lot of work is going in to it, but not all the systems are
necesarily working yet.  The arm-linux mailing list is probably your
best place to find answers for that.  You certainly want to go to Sarge
before trying though to avoid too much hassle.

Len Sorensen