Re: Upgraded NeTTrom from 2.1.24 to 2.3.3 - refuses to boot

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 04:57:25PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> I get nothing when connecting my freshly made 9-pin nullmodem cable
> between my PC and the Netwinder.  I use minicom, and 115200 8N1 with
> no flow control.  Minicom says 'offline' in the lower right corner.  I
> expected it to go 'online' when the netwinder was turned on.

Don't worry about online/offline, that only works with additional pins
wired and driven.  You do have a problem somewhere in your wiring, if
you are getting video output on the netwinder then it is _definately_
printing data to the serial port as well.

> > As well you might want to make certain that the RAM is seated properly.
>
> Eh, where is the RAM?  I did not see any RAM when I opened the box.
> Do I need to remove the HD to find the socket?

It is underneath the motherboard, undo the 4 screws holding the
motherboard in place to get at it.  RAM does tend to come lose every
now and then.

> Not even sure if the PCs serial ports are working. Do I need modules
> loaded with a 2.4.16 kernel?  There is no serial ports listed in
> /proc/interrupts, only /proc/ioports.  I tried lo laod generic_serial,
> but it did not have any effect.

Serial driver might be compiled in.  Look in dmesg output for "serial"
or "Serial".  If possible, hook your minicom up to another PC until you
are sure you have that part working.

-R