gcc 2.95.2-13 for arm

I've got debian potato installed on a RiscPC, with gcc 2.95.2-13.
Is this version known to have problems?
as best I can tell it can't compile a working 2.2.16 kernel, apt-get compiled
at -02 SEGVs (-O1 works) (just like the .deb)
Now I'm trying to compile development perl and it's made 1 version that passes
tests but if I change the options a bit they start to segv. I noticed this
when using -O -g:

/tmp/ccprvVuj.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccprvVuj.s:13108: Warning: destination register same as write-back base

which I take is a bad thing?
[in that gcc is failing to allocate 2 different registers]

Am I right in thinking that gcc 2.95.2-13 is dodgy? If so, which version would
I be advised to use?

Nicholas Clark