Re: release in 2.2?

Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com> writes:

> So, anyone else interested in seeing if we can include debian-arm in the 2.2
> release?

I'd like to see it there.  When is 2.2 due to be released?

> I've kind of lost track of where we are relative to being
> releasable.  I was working on X until real life intruded.

Is anybody working on X now?

> I don't think anyone has done any real work on an installation
> process for "disks-arm".

I'd like to have a look at it.  Because the NetWinder doesn't have a
disk drive, the installation process is going to be a bit different.
I can think of several ways of doing it:

  1) Disk image + instructions.  This is how we are currently doing it.
     The big disadvantage is that there isn't really a setup program,
     and you need to have the disk partitioned beforehand.

  2) Boot server + NFS.  By doing a diskless boot, we'd be able to
     repartition and do the setup program, just like off of diskettes.

     This might be useful for architectures other than just ARM.

  3) Flash + HTTP/FTP.  This might be useful for environments where
     setting up a DHCP/NFS server is inconvenient.

Of course, it would be nice to have a set of diskettes for machines
that did have diskette drives (eg. Acorn)

> A bunch of compiles need to happen.  Other than that,
> what's standing in the way?

egcs still has problems with optimization, which bites a few packages
(lynx, libglib, etc).  The problems persist with egcs 1.1.2 (which I
just uploaded).  As a stopgap, we can patch the packages to not use
optimization - but I'd prefer a compiler fix.

I remember jade had some problems, which was affecting quite a few
packages which depended upon it.  Maybe that's been fixed with egcs
1.1.2?  I'll try it again later tonight.

We need an updated X.

Cheers,

 - Jim