Signal 11 with gcc?

A few months I had problems with 'signal 11' occuring all the time;
not a single time could I get 'gcc' to compile any program at all.
That turned out to be a hardware problem; I sent in that my previous
Netwinder and got a replacement, that has worked much better.

Still, I sometimes receive either signal 11 or signal 4 during large
compilation jobs, such as the kernel or a large Debian package.

Worse yet, when using 'tcsh' as my shell (for both 'root' and myself),
sometimes a 'gcc' will cause the machine to lock up, completely.
(E.g. trying to compile 'ssh').

Has anyone else seen these phenomenas?  I.e. are these
software-related?  I am beginning to suspect that the replacement
machine was not as clean as I'd hope for..

-tor